Monday 12 March 2012

Devonport ITU Junior Oceania Champs

After putting my foot through the front wheel of my bike in Kinloch, NZ and suffering a minor foot injury, I had been out of racing for a couple of weeks. Although frustrating, it made me very determined and excited for a solid race in Devonport.

Our race start was at 10am, with the tide just starting to come in and the water a pleasant 18 degrees. This meant it was a wetsuit legal swim which I was very happy about. I didn't have the greatest start to my swim, getting tangled up with a lot of other girls and caught in a number of fights. But I managed to find clear water as I approached the first turn buoy and tried to work my way back through the pack of girls. I ended up emerging from the water at the start of the second pack, about 15 seconds behind the front group. I had some chasing to do!

I got on the bike and immediately started chasing down that front group. The bike course consisted of two hills each lap which definitely took their toll on the legs after the four laps. With the help of a couple of kiwi girls, I was able to bridge to the front pack on the second lap, giving me time to recover and get ready for the run.

After a solid swim and bike, I headed out on the run with the lead girls. Unfortunately, the run didn't come together on the day and I didn't have the run I was hoping for. I finished the race in 6th position overall and the 3rd Aussie junior.

Although I was disappointed with my run, I learnt a great deal from the race and will use it as a learning experience for the rest of the season.

See you all in Mooloolaba.

Ellie xo

No comments:

Post a Comment