Thursday 2 May 2013

Noosa Training Camp


Last Thursday the Carina Leagues Tri Club athletes headed up to Noosa for a training camp, to be used as preparation for the Ironman athletes. The average person would most likely have driven the 190km to Noosa, enjoying the luxury of four wheels and air con. But of course, we are far from average, and were sent off at 5.30am to ride instead, ensuring the route included the mountains of Maleny, Montville and Kenilworth. The food stop set up at the 120km mark could not have come sooner, offering sandwiches, bananas, Coke and lolly bags to each of the very hungry athletes. The lolly bag went down an absolute treat! After arriving in Noosa 8.5hrs after setting off, I went straight to sleep for the remainder of the arvo. I even slept through my swim session, oops!! 


Friday saw us heading out for a 150km through the Sunshine Coast hinterland. This also included the much anticipated Obi Obi Rd, a 7km climb reaching gradients of up to 29%!! I was very pleased with myself for climbing the whole way without needing to unclip, but was definitely glad we were not doing hill repeats. Breakfast awaited us at the top of the climb, the amazing view distracting us from the sting in our legs. An open water swim on Friday afternoon helped to recover the legs and prepare for what was still in store. 



Saturday morning we participated in a 3.8km ocean swim in Main Beach as part of the Noosa Ultimate Sports Fest. It was a great event and was the perfect recovery from the days before. A midday nap and light run before dinner were on the cards for the rest of the day.


Sunday morning I participated in the 10km run race as part of the Sport Fest. I had a great race and was very pleased to come away with 2nd considering the big couple of days I had had previously. I also managed to run a personal best time, boosting the confidence before heading overseas in two weeks.


I also had the chance to take some photos in my new Vorgee race kit. Definitely won't be blending in with the crowd in this one!!


I am now training for my next race, Chizhou Premium Asian Cup, on May 18th. This will be the first race in my five month overseas venture. In the mean time, I will be madly packing my suitcases and getting ready to head off. I will keep you up to date right here, no matter where in the world I am, so be sure to check back regularly. 

Ellie xo

2 comments:

  1. Good on ya Ellie. Much as I like a cold coke, I think riding 120km for one is even beyond a deprived me ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. All the best for May 18 Ellie! I'll be cheering for you from down under ; )

    ReplyDelete