Monday 5 November 2012

Noosa Triathlon


The Noosa Multisport Festival is always such a great weekend, with races and events to cater for everyone. It is a personal favourite of mine and I always look forward to competing in the Noosa triathlon each year.

This year was no different, and after experiencing unfortunate circumstances at Worlds two weeks earlier, I was looking forward to going out and producing a solid day. It would be my first Olympic distance race since March and the first time I would run 10km since my stress fracture. Naturally, this added a bit of pressure and nerves to the situation, but mostly excitement and anticipation. I had my bike kitted out with brand new Zipp 404’s from Bicycle Riders Morningside in preparation for the race. They looked great and felt even better to ride! Thanks Bicycle Riders Morningside for looking after me and supporting me unconditionally.


The day before the race, I was lucky enough to visit the Adidas Eyewear tent in the expo and have a chat to them about their eyewear. They have been supporting me for two years now so it is always nice to pop in and thank them for everything they do. I also had a great chat to Glenn from Cannibal, who in partnership with my long-term sponsors Vorgee, provided me with my race suit. I always love racing in my custom designed kit and know it stands out amongst the other race suits.


Race day was a very early 4am wake up for me. Race start was 6.15am, which is extremely early compared to most other races. I can tell you, not much is happening at 4 o’clock in the morning, so I would suggest staying in bed.

The swim leg of the race was held in the Noosa River and was a 1500m loop around an island. I knew there were some good swimmers in the field, with a number of girls having raced on the ITU circuit, so I found some feet early and was desperate to stick on them. 1500m is a long way if you are isolated so I had to make certain I stayed on the feet in front and didn’t let them get a gap on me. I had a great swim, coming out in third position, and right with the girls I needed to be with.


The ride was an out and back course of 40km with a 3km hill climb in the middle. It was a non-drafting race so I was at a slight disadvantage having a road bike, as opposed to a time trial bike, but I rode well considering. Unfortunately I didn’t have the run I was hoping for though, and finished in 12th position. It is the bad days you learn from though so I will take my frustration into next season to make myself bigger and better as an athlete.

I am going to have some time off now to relax and catch up with some friends, before getting back to training in preparation for next season.

Remember to keep up to date with my endeavours by 'liking' my Facebook Fan Page at http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ellie-Salthouse/387421924634161.

Ellie xx


No comments:

Post a Comment